Sunday, October 2, 2011

Detroit Lions

Detroit Lions: ALLEN PARK -- A question and answer session with Detroit Lions rookie wide receiver Titus Young.

Question: You've come on in the last a couple of weeks. Is there a switch that's been turned on or is it just the opportunity presenting itself and you taking advantage?

Answer: I would definitely say it's the opportunity presenting itself and just being prepared for those situations. I feel like everyone pretty much gets a couple of opportunities in life and capitalizing and being really prepared for those opportunities is what really matters, what really counts. So just being prepared, I can definitely say, has been a big thing for me. Those opportunities lately have been a blessing, and I look forward to those opportunities -- the more the merrier. (laughs)

Q: Some of the catches you've made, especially against Minnesota, were true full-extension grabs. Are you just willing to give up your body over the middle?

A: It wasn't just that I was willing to give up my body - I wouldn't say that - but I definitely wanted to catch the ball, so I definitely had my eyes focused on the QB. When I came out of my break, I got my eyes back real quick and saw it leave his hands, so I tracked the ball pretty well and after I was in the air, I kind of looked back just to make sure nobody was coming over the top and got down afterward. It felt very good.

Q: Some of those receptions have come at critical moments. Is that something you've been known for in your career -- making clutch catches?

A: I would definitely say later on in my career at Boise State, I started to develop that. I would say earlier in my career I didn't make those plays, I really didn't. And ever since I began to make those plays, I always wanted to be that clutch guy - wanted to be calm when everyone else wasn't calm. I always wanted that Michael Jordan edge. Late in the game, give me the ball. I always kind of thought like that.

To tell you the truth, it's not something that just happens overnight. It's something that's thought of. It's something that goes through your head. You play it over in practice; you play it over and over and then when the time presents itself, it feels like it's already happened. It something that's just natural. It's definitely been a lot of hard work mentally and physically and emotionally to make plays like that because you really have to have your mind right in situations like that. Our coaches prepare us and let us know what type of fight we're going to get in beforehand, anyway, so I kind of expected to be in those kinds of situations to provide for my teammates.

Q: When the Lions drafted you, Jim Schwartz talked about your quickness, not only running a route downfield, but coming off the line -- your ability to beat press coverage. You really showed some quickness as well as strength in getting (Vikings cornerback) Cedric Griffin off you and getting past him. Have you always been good at that, or have you improved since coming to the NFL?

A: When I was younger, I would say I was pretty good at it. But there was one time, there was a guy at practice who embarrassed me in front of my teammates. I couldn't get off the line of scrimmage. I cried and was really mad about it. My coach told me afterward, 'That's why you need to lift some weights!' During that time, I lifted weights, and I just couldn't gain any wait. But I'd definitely say that was one time in my life that happened, and I told myself if anything, we're going to fight on the line of scrimmage. I'm not about to let this guy get me. Experience is a good teacher in football. A lot of stuff, you learn from it. There are little tricks. There are times guys will get me still, but for the most part, I pride myself in not letting guys get a hand on me.

Q: Do you have any hobbies? Any things you like to do off the football field?

A: Man, I really don't have any hobbies. When I get home from here, I like to lay down, watch some TV, go to sleep. I play Madden -- I like to play Madden online. I like Call of Duty, too. It's pretty good. I like to read some Scriptures in the morning, in the nighttime, before I go to sleep. I don't have my dog up here, so I can't walk my dog. I really don't do too much stuff with friends. I'm not really that interesting off the field.

Q: Do you have any favorite restaurants you've been to?

A: Joe's Crab Shack. I just went there the other day in Ann Arbor. Shout-out to Joe's. The snow crab? Oh my goodness ...

Q: Are you a seafood guy?

A: Now I am! That bread was so good. Had some shrimp. I'd definitely say Joe's Crab Shack is my favorite spot in Michigan right now. But beans and cornbread is very good too. Yeah, shout-out to beans and cornbread.

Q: Do you cook at all?

A: I know a few recipes. My favorite recipe is for fried chicken. That's what I'm pretty good at. I really don't cook too much. I eat out. So I'm looking for someone to help me around the house -- cook and stuff like that.

Q: So you're single then?

A: Yeah, I'm single. I'm an eligible bachelor in the city right now. Just letting everybody know!

Q: Do you have a favorite singer or band?

A: I would say Hezekiah Walker is my favorite gospel artist. He's pretty good; his choir is pretty good. As far as rap, I'd say Young Jeezy, he's always been my favorite rapper. I just like the sound of his music, what he talks about -- not everything he talks about -- but for the most part, he keeps it real. And I think that's what Detroit is about -- just keeping it real.

Q: Do you like it here in Detroit after growing up on the West Coast?

A: Yeah, I actually feel like I can breathe a little bit. I can wear what I want to wear, red or blue, wherever I want to go. There's nobody trippin over what I have on or anything.

Q: Talk to me in the winter.

A: I was just thinking about that. I've got to go shopping for some stuff.

Q: Do you have any favorite movies?

A: Well, you know what my all-time favorite is? You might laugh. (laughs) It's been for a while. Nobody's topped it. It's Titanic. (laughs) The movie Titanic. It's about four or five hours, but I actually cried in that movie when I was younger. I'm not going to lie. But it was a good movie, a good love story. That love story? I want a love story like that. That was pretty sweet.

Q: Do you have a favorite car?

A: I'm driving a rental car right now, but I'm looking forward to getting some type of truck. I'm not going to let you guys know what because I don't want you guys trying to spot me in my track. No, but I'm looking for something spacious. I really wouldn't like something too small - I'm in something small right now.

Q: I bet Ford will give you a good discount.

A: I know, right? Ford! Alright, Ford!

Q: Do you have any favorite actors or actresses?

A: Of course, Denzel Washington is my favorite actor. What's that movie with the fine girl that came out? She's a fighter in this movie. Zoe Saldana. Yeah, that's my favorite actress. Tell her I said hello. Titus says hello!

Q: What would you be doing if you weren't a football player?

A: I really wouldn't be anything. (laughs) After I'm done with football, I'm done with everything. Louis (Delmas) and I were just talking about that. He said when he's done with football, he's not doing anything for two years straight. I told him I'm going to be right with you.

Q: Just save that money.

A: Yep, exactly!

0 comments:

Post a Comment