Sunday, October 2, 2011

Andre Johnson

Andre Johnson: Allow me to pause for a minute and pat myself on the back.  It’s rare enough that I go out on a limb once and have it work out, but it looks like I’ll be vindicated on a pair of risky prognostications.

First, I picked the Niners to beat the Eagles by a point, without being under the influence of alcohol or any illegal drugs.  (And I almost got the much coveted hole-in-one, guessing that the score would be 25-24.)

Second, I picked the Niners to win the NFC West.  They’re currently 3-1.  The Cardinals and Seahawks are 1-3; the Rams are 0-4.

I believed in the Niners because I believed that new coach Jim Harbaugh would be worth two or three wins, based on his smarts, his will, and infectious enthusiasm.  Good planning also played a role, with the Niners opting not to fly home from Cincinnati last week — and not to fly back from San Fran to Philly this week for a 1:00 p.m. ET  game.

Coupled with Captain Comeback’s never-say-die mentality, the Niners didn’t give up, even when down by 20 points in the second half.  They did the unthinkable, sending the Dream Team even deeper into a nightmare and putting the Niners in the driver’s seat of one of the worst divisions in the league.

But the team at the top of the NFC West is separating itself from the pack.  And it’s no longer a stretch to suggest that the Niners will be hosting the Packers or the Lions in the first round of the playoffs.

Heck, the way the Niners are playing, they could end up with a first-round bye.

0 comments:

Post a Comment